- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- Accommodation in twin room
- Half board meals
- Flights to Bulgaria and back
- Lunches/picnics as described
- Medical insurance and emergency insurance
- Personal expenses
- Services not specifically stated in the itinerary
High on Nature Scale
The river Arda in the Eastern Rhodope mountains was dammed by the Bulgarian communist government in the 1960-s and thus lake Studen Kladenets was shaped, together with two other artificial lakes – Kardzhali and Ivaylovgrad. Nowadays they form the largest wetland area in Bulgaria and the Rhodope mountains, offering exclusive opportunities for nature holidays.
Studen Kladenets reservoir and the nature reserves surrounding the lake, are a true paradise for birds and mammals. Some 100 km to from the Greek coastline, the lake shares many species with the Mediterranean. Aside from having its own impressive list of breeding bird species, Studen Kladenets reservoir is a magnet for wetland birds and a must place to visit in spring and summer!
One activity is never enough
For those who love relaxing walks, lake kayaking and watching birds, this is the place to be. You never do only one activity – if you paddle in your kayak, you see a bunch of rare birds and explore hidden waterfalls. Just walking in the nature areas surrounding lake Studen kladenets, makes a day complete. And most often you manage to see some wildlife along the way. Bike adventure goes together with deer and bison observation, or leads you to some great archaeological sites. If you are a naturalist this lake retreat is your kind of holiday.
- General description
- Holiday description
Meeting you at Mihaela Lake Retreat
Mihaela Lake Retreat is a two floors house which was renovated in 2012 by the present owner. The living room/dining room, equipped kitchen and shared toilet/bathroom are on the first floor. The three bedrooms (one with twin beds, one triple room and one room with four twin beds) are on the second floor. The outside yard has a green area, orchard, and big veranda with lake view. The wooden shelter with eating place and barbecue is behind the house.
Major Sightseeins and Activities
The lake Studen Kladenets gives you an excellent opportunity to enjoy kayaking tours, boat tours and wetlands bird watching. The archaeological site of Perperikon is only 10 km away. Amazing nature areas are located just a walking distance from the house. A simple walking around may show you the Griffon vulture, Black stork, Raven, and Golden eagle. There is a game reserve on the other side of the lake where you can go by motor boat (10 min on water) and spend one day in the wild nature to watch deer, fox, wolf, bison, turtle, etc. Major bird watching spots like Madzharovo, Dolna Kula, and Studen Kladenets dam are some 30 km from the house. Surrounding mild hills are perfect for mountain biking.
Description of the accommodation: Bed'n'Breakfast rural house. Type of breakfast: Traditional with home cooked pastry, cake, seasonal fresh fruits, farm yogurt, milk and butter. Kitchen/Living room: Sofa bed, armchairs, eating table with chairs, TV. Bathrooms: Douche, hot water, terracotta. Bedrooms: Wooden beds and furniture, bed linen & towels included. Outside: Green yard, wooden shelter with table and chairs, summer barbecue, veranda, panorama view. Activities in the area: Nature, Bird watching, Kayaking, Boat tour, Mountain biking, Wildlife watching & photography, Sightseeing.
More about Eastern Rhodope Discover Eastern Rhodope
More about Studen kladenets Discover Studen kladenets
More about this tour
- Location: Gnyazdovo village is 20 km east of the city of Kardzhali and 40 km south of the city of Haskovo, South Bulgaria.
- Nearest airport: Plovdiv Airport (Ryanair) at 110 km.
- Nearest train: Train station in Kardzhali.
- Nearest bus: Bus station in Kardzhali.
- Nearest highway : Haskovo (E80, А4) at 50 km.
- Type of accommodation: Rural guest house, 800m from the bank of Studen Kladenets (Cold Well) reservoir, three guest rooms, shared toilets/bathrooms, locally produced food, traditional cooking.
- Period: All year round, best time for a lake holiday in Bulgarian Eastern Rhodope mountains – April to October.
- Tour type: One week holiday.
- Nearest seaside: Eagean sea, Greece, 160 km.
- Nearest beach side: Lake Studen kladenets, 800 m.
- Car: Necessary. Book a rent-a-car